Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 22 villarente to la virgen del camino

23.7k due to some unplanned detours and then for sure at least another 5k in Leon, going to the bus station and such.

Last night there were in fact 3 of us in a huge place, me, the Slovakian and the late arriving spaniard (i cannot decipher the name of either) who is walking 30 to 40k a day.

We all leave at the same time in the morning folowing strict instructions from the owner's daughter the night before to switch off all the lights and close the door. This place reminds me of a ranch in south america, due to it's sprawl, the stone floor, inner courtyards and numerous rooms and hallways. There are many photographs on the wall and it feels like it has been in the family for many years.

The walk to Leon is not as bad as I had anticipated, there is a footpath some distance from the busy n120 that has been a part of the camino far too much. The moon is much higher now and of course wanning and not as cold as the last few days, in fact in the afternoon it is almost hot. I stop to take photos especially of the bright blue camino walkway over the motorway and soon the spires of the cathedral of leon are visible. The soft spoken spaniard from Barcelona, is fading into the distance, he walks at a constant pace (a topic much discussed last night) stoping for nothing. The Slovak and I agree to have a parting pivo by the cathedral since I want to walk on and he wants to enjoy the sights and sounds of Leon. I have been there, done that and memories of last year and walking around the city in a jetlag fog come flooding back.


The Czech and the Slav get horribly lost in the outskirts of the city. The cathedral spires no longer visible, there is the bullring, the canal, no shells and no yellow arrows, but there is a postman and he points diagnally to the right. Okay!!! I had big plans and a tight schedule to attempt 36k today (inspired by the barcelonian last night) that are fast erroding. Eventually there is gaudi's casa de botines and it looks very much out of place and then plaza Regia and the cathedral exactly as I remember and I see the young German girl and Italian boy from 2 weeks ago or so and they are still walking together and they look happy and we wave to each other in comfortable recognition.

It's just 12 so I suppose a small beer in the chic cafe Europa with lounge music is okay. The Slovak and I part and I decide to sit in the sunshine in the square for a while and contemplate, I would like to go to the bus station to finalize travel plans for Friday, but also want to walk the camino path in Leon which so far has mostly eluded me. I eat the rest of the cheese bought in Burgos and figure out a plan that will lead to almost an hour long walk through the city, but i'm here for walking. As I set off I bump into Ike (of blue kerchief from some days ago) and we also say adios, since he will be staying in Leon.


The walk out of the city is not charming, but the sun us shining, it is warm and I have spotted 2 beautiful alfas and find a nice place to stay and once again it is laundry day on the camino and the young lady in the pristine alburge makes it easy. Tomorrow I have a long walk, earlish to bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment