Thursday, October 7, 2010

I can't sleep



Thinking about the people I have met on the camino so far. Yesterday (day 1 night), we stayed at a beautiful lodge cut into the side of the moutain. For this lodge one has to make a reservation since there are only 18 beds and the next , accomodation is a hard 5 or so hour climb away. We are still in France so I have a Ricard aperitiff, reminds me of my salad days and another part of my life. There is a delicious basque style communal dinner. Staying at the lodge is an older retired Swedish couple, margerita (who reminds me so much of an old family friend lida) who has walked parts of the camino many times with a girlfriend and is now walking with her husband torbjorm who takes charge of serving the salt paprika potato soup, pouring the fruity red wine and water, he must have had a position of authority but I haven'f found out yet. Then there is andrea from germany, eniss from austria, a Frenchman who has left his wife and 5 children at home to walk for 3 weeks, a young quiet German, all on day 1 of their first camino travelling alone. A couple from London just retired, a group of 6 Israeli men and 3 young Koreans that met on the night train from Paris. I have seen all of them in this little village tonight except the Frenchman who may have walked on. Already we have a bond. The rest of the meal was roast lamb and basque style white bean stew, Followed by torta basque a yummy baked light cheesecake with almonds.

No comments:

Post a Comment